Re: [ontolog-forum] Relating and Reconciling Ontologies

To: AzamatAbdoullaev <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 17:14:25 -0400
On 4/25/2011 1:53 PM, AzamatAbdoullaev wrote:
> ... it could be a roadmap strategy for the most innovative solutions
> to emerging global problems...    (01)

I believe that good ontologies can help, but they're not magic.    (02)

> let's float and field-test the idea of a global ontology    (03)

Many people have said such things.  The largest and most detailed
formal ontology today is Cyc.  It has undergone more testing than
any other global ontology ever proposed.  But it has also been
criticized and rejected for many reasons by many experts.  There
is zero evidence than any other ontology could do any better.    (04)

The #1 problem for software is to integrate the multi-trillion dollars
worth of legacy software into semantic systems.  Every one of them
has an *implicit* ontology.  Whenever anybody upgrades a legacy system
with a new *explicit* ontology, they make sure that it is compatible
with the *old* implicit ontology.  Those ontologies are not going away.    (05)

> I am sure that no entity is monitoring the oil/gas threats globally
> or locally. Say, the same Gulf of Mexico, with 50,000 oil and gas wells,
> to be unsealed or uncapped and abandoned without any regular technical
> monitoring, is nothing but an environmental "minefield" of other deadly
> oil-rig explosions.    (06)

That's an excellent argument for better monitoring.  But the connection
to a single global ontology is dubious.    (07)

The BP spill, for example, could very easily have been prevented by
responsible managers who took safety seriously.  BP management got
many, many warnings from their employees, and they ignored every last
one of them.  More warnings coming from a computer would have been
just as easy for them to ignore.    (08)