Re: [ontolog-forum] Relating and Reconciling Ontologies

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 05:57:18 -0400
Doug,    (01)

On 4/25/2011 11:54 PM, doug foxvog wrote:
<snip>
> The BP spill, for example, could very easily have been prevented by
>>> responsible managers who took safety seriously.  BP management got
>>> many, many warnings from their employees, and they ignored every last
>>> one of them.  More warnings coming from a computer would have been
>>> just as easy for them to ignore.
>> Public access to the data (e.g., warning data about pending
>> catastrophes) is key to making organizations like BP take notice and
>> process warning data at the right time.
> Detailed data about wells being drilled: distance drilled per unit time,
> pressure, temperature, chemical properties of return fluid, etc. would
> certainly be proprietary data.
>
> Companies would not be willing to provide such data to the public&
> therefore their competitors.
>    (02)

+1!    (03)

I would also point out that "public access" does not enable anyone to
make meaningful analysis of data.    (04)

Hope you are having a great day!    (05)

Patrick

Patrick Durusau
patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, ISO/IEC 13250-1, 13250-5 (Topic Maps)    (07)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau    (08)