Re: [ontolog-forum] IBM Watson & source code

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "ZENG, MARCIA" <mzeng@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 21:19:24 -0500
FYI:
Watson's Final Jeopardy Blunder In Day 2 Of IBM Challenge was updated:

UPDATE: IBM posted this explanation for the mistake on its "Smarter Planet" blog....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/15/watson-final-jeopardy_n_823795.html

On 2/15/11 8:18 PM, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2/15/2011 4:24 PM, Jerry Hobbs wrote:
> Actually I think the question asked for an "anatomical anomaly",
> which could be a body part, like a sixth toe, rather than a disability.
> The text Watson used referred to the athlete's "wooden leg".

I agree.  It found the anomaly, but it made an error in not explaining
that it was an anomaly.  So it should at least get partial credit.

On tonight's round, Watson did very well.  But it made a category
error for which there was no excuse.

The category was US Cities, and all three contestants were given
30 seconds to write their answers and the amount they were willing
to bet.

Question:  A city whose largest airport is the name of a war hero
and whose second largest airport is the name of a WW II battle.

Both humans got the answer right -- Chicago -- and they bet
the maximum or almost the maximum.

That was tricky because Midway Airport happens to be the
name of a battle, but it was not named for the battle.

But Watson wrote Toronto and bet $947 (which was a small
amount, indicating that it wasn't sure).

But the category was "US Cities".  It certainly should
have checked.

John