Re: [ontolog-forum] IBM Watson on Jeopardy

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Simon Spero <ses@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 09:51:33 -0500
On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So please take this somewhere else (but include me - I'd love to get into this one)

Can you put that in the form of a question?

Haven't their actually been useful products built using UIMA before this?

Am I the only person for whom "Watson" is more strongly  associated with Doctor, than with T.J? And does that not bring to mind the character of Sherlock Holmes? Although Holmes claimed to reason through the power of Deduction, was his actual approach better characterized as Induction, or was it Abduction?
In an empirical context is there a principled difference between the two?

In a probabilistic context, does reserving a certain amount of probability for a catch-all hypothesis corresponding to the possible outcomes that might not have happened yet rise to the level of abduction, or do you have to posit a specific purple swan before you have really abduced?

If you  grab a sign from a protestor are you committing the crime of Pierce snatching?