Re: [ontolog-forum] IBM Watson on Jeopardy

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jerry Hobbs <hobbs@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 20:26:21 -0800
 > Also, Watson gave "the 1920's" when the answer ("the twenties") the
 > decade) had already been declared wrong.  I wonder what lessons
 > Watson's developers will derived from those blunders.    (01)

Watson doesn't have speech recognition, so it doesn't know other
contestants' answers, although it does learn the right answer for each
question afterwards.  Anyway, it would be difficult for it to figure
out that "the twenties" and "the nineteen twenties" were the same
answer; very often an answer is wrong because it is incomplete, e.g.,
Watson's "leg" when "missing a leg" was the right answer.    (02)

-- Jerry    (03)