Re: [ontolog-forum] IBM Watson on Jeopardy

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Krzysztof Janowicz <jano@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 09:15:43 -0500
On 02/14/2011 01:55 AM, John F. Sowa wrote:
> But a top-down, monolithic, detailed, universal ontology of everything
> is not only impossible to achieve, it would be a disaster, if anybody
> tried to enforce it on everything.    (01)

I could not agree more, this would be almost like a conceptualization
oligarchy. The even more important point however is that it is
impossible and we should stop doing it. Information communities (and
even individuals) have their local conceptualizations of the physical
world and they have them for good reasons.    (02)

Best,
Krzysztof    (03)

--
Krzysztof Janowicz    (04)

GeoVISTA Center, Department of Geography, 302 Walker Building
Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA    (05)

Email: jano@xxxxxxx
Webpage: http://www.personal.psu.edu/kuj13/
Semantic Web Journal: http://www.semantic-web-journal.net    (06)