Re: [ontolog-forum] IBM Watson on Jeopardy

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Barkmeyer <edbark@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 16:09:56 -0500

David Eddy wrote:
> Ed -
>
> On 2011-02-15, at 11:27 AM, Ed Barkmeyer wrote:
>

>> P.S. I'm sure many were reminded of the HAL9000
>>

> Particularly the association:
>
> H --> I
> A --> B
> L --> M
>       (01)

As I remember that relationship was noted when the movie came out.    (02)

> Score extra points for that script writer.
>       (03)

Arthur C. Clarke -- a famous sci-fi writer -- wrote 2001: A Space
Odyssey, both the book and the movie script in collaboration with
Stanley Kubrick
The first half of the movie is taken from a Clarke story of the late
1940s, but the HAL9000 part probably originated at the time of the
movie, around 1970.    (04)

What struck me was the resemblance between Watson's racks of Power7s and
the structure of HAL.  The hero disables HAL, sliding out one processor
box at a time and turning it off, during which process HAL suddenly says
he is losing his mind.  Of course, rack-mounted minicomputers were
common in the 1960s and multicomputers already existed, so it wasn't so
much a stretch of the imagination, I suppose.    (05)

-Ed
> David Eddy
> deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> 781-455-0949

>       (06)

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8263                Cel: +1 240-672-5800    (07)

 and have not been reviewed by any Government authority."    (08)