Re: [ontolog-forum] IBM Watson's Final Jeopardy error "explanation"

To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adrian Walker <adriandwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 11:52:37 -0500
Doug --

Agreed, good explanations are essential for most real world uses, such as in medicine.

That's why the Executable English system [1,2] provides step-by-step English explanations of its results, drilling down into detail, via hypertext, all the way to the supporting data.

However, Executable English works over structured data tables (e.g. SQL), whereas Watson uses mainly unstructured data.  It's a lot harder to produce useful explanations in Watson's case.

Of course, systems like Watson can be used to add structure, which Executable English can then query, but the reliable explanations would stop at the structuring boundary.

                                 -- Adrian

[1] Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English Q/A over SQL and RDF
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
Shared use is free, and there are no advertisements

[2] www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/MedMine.agent

Adrian Walker
Reengineering