Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: [New post] The Newest from SOA: The SOA Ontolog

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 13:26:25 -0800
Mike,    (01)

Engineering is the use of economically appropriate technologies to solve
realistic, real world problems.  Ontologists haven't shown an interest in
economics, or in specific problem solving so far.  The disconnect between
what is going on in this list, and in other ontology groups, versus the
engineering discipline and outlook, is still quite vast.      (02)

The entire issue of practical application has been ignored so far.  It
probably might just as well be, since ontology has not progressed far enough
yet to provide useful applications, other than simple things like the Dublin
Core ontology.  It is probably too early, and too philosophically
interesting to too many academics, to even begin that transition to practice
yet.      (03)

Maybe the future will change that prospect, but it still has a very, very
long way to go.  The emphasis on reducing capability of expression, on
limiting solutions so they can be academically analyzed, is still in
process.  That orientation to meet scholarly goals of academia has to be
completed, and the limits of ontological practice found and documented,
before deeply demonstrative practical applications can be exhibited
convincingly.      (04)

JMHO,
-Rich    (05)

Sincerely,