Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: [New post] The Newest from SOA: The SOA Ontolog

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 09:14:52 -0600
>> Until ontological engineers, like engineers of every other other stripe, can
>be assumed to have a well-defined baseline of knowledge and a basic technical
>skills, an endless repetition of elementary modeling errors ...
>
> Before a professional engineer of any other stripe is allowed to promote
>herself as an engineer s/he has to be certified as qualified to do so. Without
>a similar rigorous certification process, anyone could hang out a shingle as
>an "ontological engineer".    (01)

Indeed, seems to me that is already happening.    (02)

> Perhaps some body should design such a certification process and provide
>certificates to those who manage to pass.    (03)

That is exactly what I had in mind, Doug.    (04)

>> We trust every new bridge that is built to hold us up (in part) because of
>the knowledge and skill of the engineers who designed it; sound bridges that
>perform their function reliably are the norm, not the exception.
>
> Nowadays.  It was different in the 19th Century, before certification was
>required.  Bridges fell down.  Dams collapsed.  Ontologies proved F -- oh
>wait, that's today.    (05)

:-) Of course, present-day failures in the US are due largely to its
:near-complete neglect of aging infrastructure in favor of its current
:grotesquely misplaced spending priorities.    (06)

-chris    (07)