Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: [New post] The Newest from SOA: The SOA Ontolog

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 10:17:48 -0800 (PST)
Cecil,

Many organization emphasis on terminology and have formalized set of vocabulary and their short forms or abbreviations documented.   Business rules are derived from applicant laws, and policies of/ for the organizations..  Logic is used to imply these rules.   Data Dictionary is also developed along with this.    This is all part of business analysis part of game.

These are  description of things  But as Dr. Sowa agreed,, there is more information that is needed to automate those things.  .Point of Ontology is... it would provide more information  about  the components and functionality of the things..

In Computer Science world people did not use the world "Ontology".   We used terminology such as Business Requirements,  Business Rules, Data Dictionary,  Analysis and design  etc. In addition we have process modeling and data modeling etc with  support to certain architectural pattern.  This supports, tiered architecture patterns with databases as back end.

For enterprise wide, we used "Enterprise Architecture" as the terminology to model the enterprise wide information and knowledge.  And domain  or segment architecture for each domain.

 We can automate  or implement anything when such descriptions and design model are available..  We do not use the world "Ontology" in traditional software or system development world.

  It is the AI and Knowledge management people use the world Ontology  to do the same.
Whether we use the word " Ontology" or not,  the above phases need to be addressed to automate anything. The world " Ontology" seems more generic than Business requirements, Rules, Analysis, design, ( process and data modeling ..)  phases to describe things in domain..

As long as we have all of that, I do not care whether we use the world "Ontology" or not.

Regards,
Pavithra