Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: [New post] The Newest from SOA: The SOA Ontolog

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, Ontolog Forum <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: segun alayande <salayande@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 10:28:16 +0000
Dear all,

There are many persons who have found themselves creating various forms of Ontologies (I call them Accidental Ontologist) by accident notably people who came to it from Information / Data Modeling and Taxonomy development. I am one of these people. It has been a journey of personal learning as I took on wicked problems in the IT industry and sought better techniques to improve my deliverables as opposed to creating solutions and then seeking problems to solve with it.

I do enterprise modelling and I have used various ontology development techniques that fit the context of my work. In the past 10 yoears I have developed useful products that have driven millions of pounds worth of IT investment and I am cuurrently working in various bodies in the aviation industry to do more without a certification as an Ontologist.

In practice, the purpose of a modeling exercise often determines the form of the deliverable and the process used to develop it, it is difficult to define standards and rules because of the possible variants of product and processes that may exist and are at the same time valid given the context. I remember the SSADM and Information Engineering (later marketed as Enterprise Engineering) methodologies and the certification some of us had to undertake and their current value today in terms of the agile techniques pervading IT and driven by financial and other business factors. I note that the practice of Ontology development will continue to evolve and mature as we continue to use it to solve problems ( and learn). I also suggest that members on this list would benefit the most from a focus on the dissemination of Ontology development best practice and provision of case studies. I have personally benefited from these.

In my last contribution on this list I tried to generalise a procedure proposed by a member of this list and the non-response was deafening. I enjoyed the recent discussion on the SOA Ontology and found some of the comments enlightening. A number of questions come to mind:

Is Ontology development mature enough to deserve more than communities of practice at this stage?

Should we be creating a profession out of Ontology development?

How do we position the practice within software development and especially the practice of Enterprise Architecture which itself means different things depending on who you are talking to?

I wish you all a happy Christmas and a productive new Year.

Segun