Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: [New post] The Newest from SOA: TheSOA Ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Anders Tell <opensource@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2010 15:32:22 +0100

On Dec 23, 2010, at 8:31 PM, AzamatAbdoullaev wrote:    (01)

> Thursday, December 23, 2010 8:49 PM, Anders Tell wrote:
> "Reading the document one can really ask, who, except for an IT
> professionals, can read, understand and practice it? (Top) management?
> lawyers? Business process owners?"
> Indeed. More than two years ago the group's director appeared on the forum
> asking for public comments. Now it appears it was only predending to push
> the model of service as  “a logical representation of a repeatable activity
> that has a specified outcome"...  To briefly repeat what was suggested:
> "A service is a complex business process, involving a service provider
> (agency) with its skill, experience, ingenuity, or expertise and service
> customer delivered intangible goods: new knowledge, learning, information,
> advice, experience, plan of actions, defence, safety, care, and other life
> necessities (food, shelter, utilities)"...
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws/2008Jul/0001.html
> Azamat Abdoullaev    (02)

I wonder if it is not possible to simplify it further along the lines of:    (03)

 "Service: an act or performance by someone for the benefit of another"    (04)

Then IT may add details in terms of information exchanges and/or Interfaces
and others can add aspects such as
  remuneration for the benefits (micro economic),
  duties/rights relating to the performance,
  delegation for governments and operational concerns and
  processes for "business process" concerns.    (05)

Unfortunately such such direction makes it more difficult to use Services for
plain information exchanges where the benefit is not clearly identifiable.    (06)

Although tweaking a sense of Service towards information exchanges and
interfaces is likelly to make it more difficult for cross profession
discussions.    (07)

/anders w. tel    (08)