Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: [New post] The Newest from SOA: The SOA Ontolog

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Research <research@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 23:31:29 +0100
David,    (01)

| John -
|
| On 2010-12-27, at 10:30 AM, John F. Sowa wrote:
|
| > I would also add the work by professional librarians, who have devoted
| > centuries of effort to classifying and relating documents, the
| > subjects of those documents, the kinds of documents, and the people,
| > places, and technology for producing them.
|
| BUT... said librarians (and other "professional" document handlers)
consistently
| declare that software/source code is NOT a document worthy of management.    (02)

[Peter] Not entirely true. Firstly, software code is often considered to be
out-of-scope for many libraries, as would be photos on Flickr or Facebook
posts. Secondly, if you use the FRBR model, it is entirely possible to
manage code, e.g.
Work: Microsoft Word (the software product)
Expression: Word 2010 (a particular release)
Manifestation: 14.0.5128.5000 (a specific released version and update)
Item: 02337-383-0045642-38028 (the specific copy installed on my computer)    (03)

| Perhaps the software profession is managing its artifacts in a top notch
| fashion?.... WRONG!    (04)

[Peter] If you think of software code as a document, then of course it will
fail your test. There are plenty of professional systems for checking-in,
managing, and consolidating software builds that perfectly satisfy
professionals' goals around the globe. I don't see your point.    (05)

| Yet another (aweful) example... in the PMI's (Project Management
| Institute) PMBoK (Project Management Body of Knowledge), a GLOSSARY (e.g.
| foundation of terminology) is NOT a deliverable.  Perhaps that's because
| everyone on a project knows what they're talking
| about?   Riiiiiiiight.    (06)

[Peter] A glossary is often defined as a non-normative appendix to a
normative deliverable. Maybe you are confusing 'glossary' with 'terminology'
or a 'vocabulary' (the latter two terms defined in ISO 1087) ?