Re: [ontolog-forum] Fwd: [New post] The Newest from SOA: The SOA Ontolog

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Research <research@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 18:10:38 +0100
Anders:
Indeed, by cutting out some chunks that you might like (like on speech acts),
we are making it a document that can be read by your target groups of
management, operational, legal people! ;-)    (01)

It's a tough call sometimes with limited resources - sacrificing textual
clarity for modelling concision and precision; or sacrificing modelling in
favour of clear prose. They shouldn't be opposed goals but all too often are,
sadly. I'm hoping with SOA-RAF that we can avoid that.    (02)

Peter    (03)

| > |
| > | I haven't studied the document carefully, so I  may be off here and there.
| > |
| > | It seems to me as if this document is Yet Another IT- SOA
| > | vocabulary, made by and for IT professionals including IT oriented
|Architects.
| > |
| > | While such vocabularies of Interface oriented paradigms is useful
| > | for engineers and IT professional it miss key concepts of other
| > | professions. One can seriously question the approach fit-for-purpuse as
| Business-IT aligner.
| > |
| > | Im currently involved in a major industry project where SOA is
| > | supposed to be a core enabler. Unfortunately its hasn't been the
| > | great unifier, but quit the opposite.  As a practitioner it consumes
| > | a lot a of energy, but as researcher Im preparing two case study
| > | since the project offers a great deal to study. Im personally interested
|in
| large scale Governance.
| > |
| > | Reading the document one can really ask, who, except for an IT
| > | professionals, can read, understand and practice it? (Top)
| > | management? lawyers? Business process owners?
| > |
| > | Is the definition
| > |     “A service is a logical representation of a repeatable activity
| > | that has a specified outcome. It is self-contained and is a „black
|box‟ to its
| consumers.”
| > | the way other professions (above professions, + legislators) think
| > | about Services?
| > | An a black-box? In how many cases does a Consumer know absolutely
| > | nothing about the Providers activities or outcome?
| > |
| > | One of the problems with IT-SOA is that when the style is practiced
| > | there may be a tendency to treat everything (every information
| > | exchange) as Services. Then Service == InformationExchange. But
| > | isn't a Service, from a  common sense point of view, related to
| > | someone that is providing a benefit to some? In this case not all
|exchanges
| are Services.
| > |
| > | And what happened to Service Remunerations? For many profession this
| > | is a first class concerns, relating to the essence of a Service.
| > |
| > | Another problem I've seen/is seeing is that IT Service professionals
| > | sometime sees themselves as Service designers while reducing
| > | Operational experts to providing requirements for service design
| > | activities. Hm, who is usually better at sourcing, IT- or
| > | Operational professionals? More than one profession discuss Services,
| obviously in different senses.
| > |
| > | A positive note: its good to see Events in a Service ontology.
| > | Occurrences are quite useful when discussing, describing Services,
| > | across professions. An proper process ontology such as PSL could also be a
| nice addition.
| > |
| > | Although I seriously wonder about the soundness of reasoning in
| > | section  "4.3.1 Service Consumers and Service Providers ".
| > |
| > | If a SOA ontology is considered as a candidate for a ontological
| > | killer application then IMO then business and legal concerns must be
| > | explicitly added otherwise the name should include a prefix IT-SOA or
| System-SOA or ...
| > |
| > | holiday wishes
| > | /anders w tell
| > |
| > | On Dec 20, 2010, at 9:20 PM, Research wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | Ontology
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > | Cloud/SOA |
|SOA.
| > | reasoners).
| > | > |
| and interpret the answers you get unambiguously.
| > | integration.
|policy
| and their roles in SOA.
|link: