Re: [ontolog-forum] HOL decidability [Was: using SKOS forcontrolled valu

To: <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 07:19:33 -0700

Hi Doug,

Comments below,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

-----Original Message-----
From: ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of doug foxvog
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2010 10:56 PM
To: [ontolog-forum]
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] HOL decidability [Was: using SKOS forcontrolled values for controlledvocabulary]

On Thu, October 14, 2010 13:15, Rich Cooper said:

> Hi Doug,

> Thanks for you post, you seem to be honestly trying to understand what I

> meant by the statement "there is no function that can iterate the primes",

> and perhaps I should have originally said "directly, without iterating

> other types", which seems to have set off this mess.

> The point is that there is no function which takes primes as its domain

> and ranges over the primes.

?

Any function that took primes as its range would range over them.

>  For example, you could write a loop like this:

> For I := 2,3,5,7,11,13,...

> Do f(I);

> Which would loop the domain of f(I) over the primes,

> but only in a fixed set

> of primes given at compile time, not over an infinite set of primes,

> limited only by computer word length precision.

If we were limited by computer word length precision, we could do this

with the fixed set of primes that were at most that precision.

That approach fits my definition of an iterator because it takes constant space and time to calculate each iteration.  But it requires the iterator to maintain a list of primes, which consumes space proportional to the number of primes represented, and again does not fit my definition of an effective iterator due to the added space, which increases if you want to increase the range of the iterator.

> Your example function

> G(I) := [calculate new value of nextPrime];

> is a good example because it does not exist as an iterator.

It was inside the iteration.  It was not the iterator

Exactly, and the function that contains another iterator inside it is not constant in its consumption of space and time.  Therefore it is not an iterator function in my sense of that word.

> There is no

> G(I) which will directly calculate the Ith prime (without ineffectively

I think you mean "inefficiently".

No, I mean ineffectively precisely because it doesn't directly iterate the primes.  It iterates the integers and selects primes based on a test of each integer.  That is not constant in its consumption of space and time.

> iterating over something other than primes in an inner loop), as in:

>       I := 1;

>       Do G(I);

It could iterate over a table of primes which was being filled by a

different thread.  The iterator would merely step through the array.

It could block, not loop, if the array were not full enough.

Again, not constant in its consumption of space and time.  The table keeps getting bigger when the *different* thread makes it so.  That requires more consumption of space and time each time inside the "iterator" (using your iterator definition, but not mine) another prime is added to the table.

Since you are not interested in computing the primes, but merely

iterating over a list of them, would this be sufficient?

No, for the reason of consumption being not constant.  The list keeps growing every time a new prime is added.

> I didn't say that primes are not computable; I said there is no iterator

> of them.

Again, there is no iterator in my sense of the word, not simply a mathematical abstraction, but an implemented iterator consuming constant space and time.

> As to expressiveness, the idea is to generate an infinite set of sentences

> based on combinations of a finite set of primitives, such as AND, OR, NOT,

> and a finite set of variables and constant symbols.

If this were randomly generated, most combinations would be syntactically

invalid.  I'm presuming your generator would only generate syntactically

valid sentences.

Correct; only valid iterators produce valid new elements of the thing being iterated.

In this case, the iterator of primes would generate a new prime every time it was called with the previous prime, and would do so in constant time and space.

> Associating this sequence of primes

[1]

> with expressions made up of the primitives of logic

[2]

>    (e.g., AND, OR, NOT and variables),

> you can generate an infinite number of primes

[3]

>    (which by definition are not factorable) and which

> cannot be expressed as combinations of the primitive symbols.

Forgive me, but i can not make sense out of this sentence.

If

 [1] is the sequence of all primes

    and

 [2] is the sequence of all combinations of primitive logic symbols

    and

 every element of [1] is associated with an element of [2]

then

 one can generate an infinite set of primes [3]

   (which would be a subset of [1])

 such that the elements of [3] can not be expressed as combinations

  of primitive symbols.

I am only suggesting iterating the primes, not that it is necessary to generate an infinite sequence of them.  Does that clear it up for you?  Revisit this point if you have more to say on it, please.

Trivially, this is so, since no integers (including primes) can be so

expressed.  But you can not mean that the elements of [3] are not

associated with the elements of [2], since [3] is a subset of [1] and

each element of [1] is by definition associated with an element of [2].

However, this seems like a discussion of syntax, not of proof.

I'm guessing that what you intended was to associate each of a finite set

of axioms with a separate prime.  You then map each possible proof with

the product of the axioms which are used in that proof.  Simplification

rules are also axioms that are mapped to primes.

Using this method, every statement that can be proved or disproved maps

to (at least) one non-prime positive integer.  And it doesn't matter if

multiple statements might map to the same non-prime positive integer.

Note that mathematically, A*B = B*A, but if A' and B' are the sentences

that A & B map to, "A' B'" is a different sentence from "B' A'".

Your conclusion appears to be that since there are an infinite number of primes, each of them is mapped to a syntactically valid sentence that can be neither proved nor disproved.

I don't follow your reasoning on my conclusion - I didn't say that, so there is some kind of disconnect in your version versus mine.  But it isn't due to an "infinite number of primes" in my opinion.

However, since you haven't given a rule as to how sentences are mapped

to positive integers, you have not shown that even one prime that was

not originally assigned an axiom is mapped to by a syntactically valid

sentence.

If the prime can't be factored into smaller primes that are each associated with the AND, OR, NOT and finite set of constants and variable, Then it never reaches the point of syntactic validity.  I stated that there is no such thing as an iterator (of my definition) which fits the primes, so it doesn't matter that the expressions are sometimes syntactically valid and sometimes not so.  That debate is beside the original point, so you are welcome to pursue it on your own.

> The result demonstrates that the newly generated primes are unique

> expressions that cannot be formed from combinations of the finite set of

> FOL primitives.

The primes are not expressions.

Each prime is necessarily an atom (which is also an _expression_); that atom can't be factored into a product of numbers ( which product is a more complex _expression_).

You presumably mean that they are

mapped to such expressions.  However, you have not provided any mapping

or demonstrated that one exists.

I stated that the first set of primes is associated with the AND, OR, NOT and finite vars and consts.  Products of primes are sequences of numbers, each of which COULD represent one of the first set of primes, therefore could represent each of the AND, OR, NOT, vars and consts by that association.  The product of the prime factors comprise an expressed sentence which can be valid or not valid syntactically.

You have not shown that any integers

map to unique expressions (except the primes which have been defined as

being mapped to unique sentences).

> The only feasible conclusion is that there is an infinite number of

> sentences (since there is an infinite number of primes) which CANNOT be

> expressed as combinations of the finite starting set of AND, OR, NOT and

> variables and constants.

Without defining a mapping of positive integers to logical sentences

that will have the property of primes being mapped to sentences that

are non-provable true or false, this does not follow.

See comments above re associating smaller primes with AND, OR, ...

> Therefore there are expressions (like in Escher's drawings) which are not

> well formed, yet which express sentences that have meaning to the

> observer.

Were you referring to whether sentences are well formed, instead of

provable?  Similar points apply to those which i brought up above.

And how do you ensure that primes are mapped to sentences that have

meaning to the observer, but are not well formed?

 Not all such sentences have meaning, but the statement of primes does indeed have meaning.  I have no way of enumerating "meaning", which is a subjective judgment, but the statement of primes (1,2,3,5,...) is meaningful to me (one such observer).

> Just not to observers who refuse to look at them - the observer has to

> understand that the Escher drawings are expressions which are not in

> reality, but which do have meaning nonetheless.

I fail to see what what that has to do with primes or expressions in

a formal logic.

I know you don't see it, but if you reread this post, then post a subsequent set of conclusions, we can continue this until you do.  First, start with my meaning of "iterator", which I am trying to help you put into your language.  If the iterator is not consuming constant space and time, it is not an iterator in the sense that I mean.  Whatever you have to do to put that into your subjective experience is what needs to be done first.  Apparently, that will require further comments back and forth until we communicate properly.

> Encapsulation of a function that iterates other things than primes is

> merely

> a distraction from the claim.  It doesn't change the fact that there is no

> DIRECT iterator of primes.

I also fail to see that the existence or not of an iterator of primes

(by any definition) has anything to do with the discussion of the

mapping of primes to logical sentences.

See above description of how I assigned meaning to each sentence.

> Q.E.D.

> If anything looks strange to you, please comment.

It looks quite strange to me.  You need to explain your mapping of

sentences to integers in such a way that each integer maps to one or

more sentences and that those which the composite numbers map to

can be proven or disproven, while those which the primes map to can

not.

See above mapping description.  Does that get it across properly?

> I can see you are posting in good faith.

I am sincerely trying to understand what you are writing.

I know that is true, and I appreciate your patience in tracking it down.

-Rich

-- doug