Re: [ontolog-forum] HOL decidability [Was: using SKOSforcontrolledvalues

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:10:11 -0400 (EDT)
The carries from bit to bit take additional time, but a standard computer
waits until a master clock tick to complete an operation, so the iterations
within an instruction do not affect the timing.    (01)

Since the calculation of the next prime can not be guaranteed within a
fixed amount of time, such iteration masking is not possible in the
case of iterating through primes while generating them.  One can iterate
through millions of primes in a table, but you will eventually reach no
a point where the next prime has not yet been determined.  The next step
of the iteration would take an inordinate amount of time (else that
prime would have already been calculated).    (02)

-- doug    (03)

On Fri, October 15, 2010 9:43, Randall R Schulz said:
> On Friday October 15 2010, Rich Cooper wrote:
>> Infinite precision arithmetic repeatedly adds another computer word
>> to represent numbers that overflow with the current number of words.
>> You were talking about carries propagating across a word, remember?
>
> No, I'm talking about carries from bit to bit.
>
> You can't do anything, iterative or not, in arithmetic without relying
> on underlying interations. Period.
>

> Randall Schulz

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (05)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.