Re: [ontolog-forum] HOL decidability [Was: using SKOS forcontrolled valu

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 12:11:26 -0700
Chris,    (01)

Denotational semantics (DS) has had a very poor effect on anything related
to program correctness or even optimization in computer science, and only a
minor effect on even FOL expressions of programs.  It's a dead end that is
based on the assumption that translating meaningful expressions to
simplistic FOL doesn't require an interpreter who understands the notation.
I know that mathematical logicians love it, but it hasn't yielded results
worth the costs that have been spent on it.      (02)

DS is useless for practical sized problems because it ignores scope; it will
be an academic curiosity for a long, long time.  Fun and games for
logicians, but not useful.      (03)

-Rich    (04)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper