Re: [ontolog-forum] using SKOS for controlled values for controlled voca

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:34:14 -0400
Ken,    (01)

I must admit that I don't have much sympathy for using restricted
languages.  I looked at the SKOS specifications, but I didn't study
them since they seemed to be overly complex for such a simple language.    (02)

> Could you please be explicit about what you found unclear?    (03)

Your description uses a lot of jargon to say something very simple:    (04)

> I am looking to define a controlled vocabulary that contains a list
> of description elements.  Values will be associated with the individual
> description elements, where some of values should be constrained by
> other controlled vocabularies. For example, my description set contains
> (length, weight, color) and color is to be constrained to (red, yellow, blue).    (05)

In CLCE (Common Logic Controlled English), I would declare the
"controlled vocabulary" with the following two statements:    (06)

    Nouns: object, red, yellow, blue.
    Functional nouns: length, weight, color.    (07)

Given those declarations, I can write the following two axioms in CLCE:    (08)

    Every object has a length, a weight, and a color.
    For every object x, the color of x is either red or yellow or blue.    (09)

This kind of specification is all that the SMEs would need to write.    (010)

I wouldn't bother to teach them Common Logic, but if they really wanted
to see what is under the covers, I could show them the following:    (011)

With the vocabulary declarations above, the two axioms could be
translated to the following statements in CLIF:    (012)

    (forall ((x Object)) (exists (y z w)
       (and (= y (Length x)) (= z (Weight x)) (= w (Color x))) ))    (013)

    (forall ((x Object)) (exists (y)
       (and (= y (Color x)) (or (Red y) (Yellow y) (Blue y))) ))    (014)

Those two axioms could also be translated to CGIF:    (015)

    [Object @every *x] (Length ?x [*y]) (Weight ?x [*z]) (Color ?x [*z])    (016)

    [Object @every *x] (Color ?x | [*y])
       [Either [Or [Red ?y]] [Or [Yellow ?y]] [Or [Blue ?y]]]    (017)

It would also be possible to translate CLCE to other notations,
or the CLIF and/or CGIF versions could be translated to them.    (018)

I don't understand why anybody would want to use all that jargon
to say something so simple.    (019)