Re: [ontolog-forum] using SKOS for controlled values for controlled voca

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Laskey, Ken" <klaskey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 17:22:57 -0400
I am looking to define a controlled vocabulary that contains a list of
description elements.  Values will be associated with the individual
description elements, where some of values should be constrained by other
controlled vocabularies. For example, my description set contains (length,
weight, color) and color is to be constrained to (red, yellow, blue).    (01)

 I was looking to represent this in SKOS.  My thoughts were:    (02)

-          The descriptive elements would each be SKOS Concepts    (03)

-          The set of description elements forming the controlled vocabulary
would be a SKOS Concept Scheme    (04)

-          The controlled values would a SKOS Collection.    (05)

What I am missing is how to say a given description element in one controlled
vocabulary, e.g. a SKOS Concept Scheme, can be constrained to a list of values,
e.g. a SKOS Collection.  I was considering rdfs:range but I’m not sure that is
applicable.    (06)

I was surprised that the SKOS examples I found on the Web don’t mention this.
Am I missing something fundamental?
</Original_request>    (07)

Could you please be explicit about what you found unclear?    (08)

Dr. Kenneth Laskey
MITRE Corporation, M/S H305              phone: 703-983-7934
7515 Colshire Drive                             fax: 703-983-1379
McLean VA 22102-7508