[ontolog-forum] HOL decidability [Was: using SKOS for controlled values

To: cmenzel@xxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 23:21:27 -0400 (EDT)
> Higher-order languages are indeed more expressive [than FOL].  As a
> consequence, they are not even partially decidable.    (01)

Maybe Higher-order languages as a whole are not even partially decidable,
but large numbers of statements in them are.  It was noted that normal
computer languages embodied HOL.  Note that well-written programs in
such languages are decidable.  Of course, it is possible to write
programs which aren't.    (02)

-- doug foxvog    (03)

> Chris Menzel    (04)

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (05)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.