Re: [ontolog-forum] using SKOS for controlled values forcontrolledvocabu

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 11:55:19 -0700

Hi Bill,

Comments below,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper

EnglishLogicKernel.com

Rich AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

9 4 9 \ 5 2 5 - 5 7 1 2

-----Original Message-----
From: ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ontolog-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bill Andersen
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:43 AM
To: [ontolog-forum]
Cc: [ontolog-forum]
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] using SKOS for controlled values forcontrolledvocabulary

Rich

Do you also make up new, more "powerful", instruction sets for the processors in your favorite computer?  Seems that would be a good way to get around those nasty chip makers. They're *so* dogmatic.  Not to mention that Turing guy, the king of dogmatists.

  Bill

Actually, yes, I have at numerous times constructed specialized instructions using microprograms to implement them.  A typical microcoded instruction would be a reformulation of an often used procedure or function which takes up a lot of cpu time.  If you have ever tried microprogramming, you know how easy it is to create specialized languages with all the specialized, high efficiency instructions that interpret them.  In fact, it is easier to write microcoded interpreters than to build compilers, and far more efficient to run them - factors from 3 to 10 are common, with very occasional major gains as high as 100 times the speed.

I think you should consider the concept of expressiveness, not just the math behind FOL, because it has been the basic idea behind computer languages of all sorts, numerical, logical, even application oriented instructions such as discrete Fourier transforms, which resulted in application specific processor sets.  TI has long made signal processing cpus which have specially coded instructions for the appropriately computation consuming areas.

On many occasions, the expressiveness of a language determines the practical limits on what can be built in that language.  When Fortran I and Lisp 1.5 were the most advanced languages around (fifties and sixties), software was crude and inconvenient, not to mention ineffective in many areas.  When Pascal and OO techniques began to be implemented in HOLs, the ability to represent the program logic became much more reader-friendly and writer-friendly, and that is when software complexity began to take off.

In my opinion, the same thing will happen (in its own unique way) with the semantic web.  The RDF layer, subset of FOL that it is, will have to be improved in subsequent products to be able to meet the goals of many of the subscribers to this list.  Wait and watch.