Re: [ontolog-forum] using SKOS for controlled values for controlled voca

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "semantic-web@xxxxxx" <semantic-web@xxxxxx>, William Waites <ww@xxxxxxxx>
From: Simon Spero <ses@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 17:21:44 -0400

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 4:49 PM, John F. Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/9/2010 4:40 PM, Pavithra wrote:
> It is also possible to use |skos:altLabel| to represent cases of /upward
> posting/ [ISO-2788
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/NOTE-skos-primer-20090818/#ISO2788>]. That
> is, when a concept aggregates more-specialized notions that are not
> explicitly introduced as concepts in the considered KOS:
>
> ex:rocks rdf:type skos:Concept;
>    skos:prefLabel "rocks"@en;
>    skos:altLabel "basalt"@en;
>    skos:altLabel "granite"@en;
>    skos:altLabel "slate"@en

Bigus Dealus Gloriosus.

Is that supposed to be *simple* ?

John is right to be sceptical-

This is not what upward posting is supposed to be used for; in fact upward posting is itself considered to be extremely poor form in Knowledge Organization Systems. Even the SKOS primer notes this.

The Alternative Labels for a SKOS Concept fulfill the role of USE/USE FOR relationships in traditional knowledge organization systems like thesauri.  They are used to indicate different natural language strings that refer to the same set of ``documents''.

This approach was used in the past if a document collection only had a few books on rocks, and using the most specific headings would send the patron scuttling between too many different file drawers.   I do not believe that this is a good match for the desired use case.

Simon