Re: [ontolog-forum] using SKOS for controlled values for controlled voca

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Yorick Wilks <Yorick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Graeme Hirst <gh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 15:13:29 -0400
[LEO:] Hmmm, Patrick, some comments.    (01)

Graeme has another observation about language that may be of interest:    (02)

> This seems to arise from a combination of overenthusiasm for Western
>scientific method
> and a misunderstanding of the nature of language that borders on fear. In
>this view, language
> is a messy and highly imperfect medium that is not to be trusted, but rather
>must either be
> sidestepped entirely or be beaten into submission by means of logic and
>formalism.
(same article)    (03)

[LEO:] This seems like an anti-science and anti-logic quotation, I hope out of
context. It seems it is hard to be a computer scientist or engineer if you
don't believe in science and logic.
[LEO:] I don't think the answer is to throw our hands up and say "Oh, language
is ineffable, inscrutable!" Linguists and philosophy of language folks may
dispute this. Is it complex? Yes. Well, so is the weather, physics, evolution,
etc. Yet we try to apply a systematic approach to understanding those,
developing knowledge about those, including the development of theories,
theorems, models, and succinct and predictive models.    (04)