Re: [ontolog-forum] using SKOS for controlled values for controlled voca

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "semantic-web@xxxxxx" <semantic-web@xxxxxx>, William Waites <ww@xxxxxxxx>
From: Amanda Vizedom <amanda.vizedom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 18:43:08 -0400
It seems to me that your use case really presents an attempt to wrest ontological precision out of SKOS.  It's often sufficiently challenging to wrest ontological precision from OWL, but at least OWL is meant to support some degree of formal (logical) precision in specifying ontologies.  SKOS is explicitly *not* an ontology language, as I understand it. I read the introduction to the SKOS primer as emphasizing this: SKOS is designed more for mapping between resources in different Knowledge Organization Systems, including and especially across KOSes of different kinds.  It's not, I think, very well especially suited for ontological _expression_, for which task SKOS relations would be logically underspecified.

The lexical/conceptual distinction is clear, though, and supports the argument against using lexical properties to specify ontological relations (be they subclass or value-list or other in nature).

Amanda