[ontolog-forum] triadic sign relations in practice

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: FERENC KOVACS <f.kovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:55:34 +0000 (GMT)
Following the law of identity an object is identical with itself if it exists at a particular place in space and a particular point of time. This is like duplicating an object. So therefore two seemingly identical objects are only identical with each other, if we disregard space an time parameters. This is called abstarction, disaambiguation, decontextualization, etc.
But if you accept that an object has two facets, namely form and content, or if you accept that no claim on identity may be made without including the aspect of the observer, then it must be clear, that either you have a new situation when the object is seen from a different aspect by the same observer, or you have another observer. Both of those aspects mean that you have a relation between the observer and the object observed, in other word the observer relates the object to him/herself.
Since objects have names (even concepts do) which are forms, we are faced with the problem of defining and harmonizing the associated content (usually properties) in each observer to achive mutual understanding.
I admit that space and time parameters may be dropped for some purpose, but as Physics teaches us, the aspect of the observer cannot. Otherwise you are all talking to yourselves.
Ferenc