Re: [ontolog-forum] Triadic Sign Relations In Practice

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jon Awbrey <jawbrey@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:08:08 -0400
Rick Murphy wrote:
> Jon, would you have an opinion on which of Peirce's 10 classes
> of signs the following statement would be classified under?
>
> RC> "The first cold weather is a sign of the coming Fall and Winter
> in the Northern Hemisphere."
>
> Most likely an index and dicisign?    (01)

Rick,    (02)

I'd like to hold off on discussing various schemes for classifying signs,
especially since this thread is dedicated to clearing up a large number
of concrete practical issues that have been accumulating from previous
discussions.  I know that many people have found much study there, but
they haven't come up all that much in my own line of work, not beyond
the initial discernment of iconic, indexical, and symbolic features.
There are several reasons for this that will come up in due course.    (03)

Jon    (04)

inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
mwb: http://www.mywikibiz.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey
knol: http://knol.google.com/k/-/-/3fkwvf69kridz/1