Re: [ontolog-forum] 4D in Enterprise Architecture

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ian Bailey" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:38:23 -0000

Hi Pavithra,

The mention of enterprise architecture caught my attention.

The UK MOD Architecture framework (MODAF) uses a 4D approach to specify the phases of an enterprise architecture. It’s meta-model specifies a whole-life enterprise and phases of an enterprise. Each architecture is associated with an enterprise-phase. This is a little more sophisticated than the usual as-is and to-be stuff you see in most EA frameworks and methodologies – i.e. it takes into account staged delivery of capability. The rest of MODAF is not 4D though.

The US DoD has just released DoDAF 2.0, and its meta-model is based on the IDEAS Group foundation ontology (which is fully 4D, b-series – see www.ideasgroup.org/foundation). For the sake of pragmatism, they took some short-cuts in the DoDAF 2.0 meta-model, so it looks more like a data model in places than an ontology. However, some of the 4D principles are still there – e.g. participants overlap processes (a 4D way of modelling participation).

The UK MOD has yet to decide whether to follow the DoD and use IDEAS for MODAF. MODAF does have a mechanism for providing standard reference data which is based on IDEAS, however.

I’ve seen quite a few conference papers and presentations on EA an ontology, but none of them have yet made the leap to 4D. In fact, most of the ontology work I’ve seen is either data modelling or taxonomy.

Cheers

--

Ian Bailey

www.modelfutures.com