Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: Patrick Cassidy <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 21:49:04 -0600
I will comment on only one of the points that PatC keeps making.    (01)

On Feb 1, 2010, at 3:00 PM, Patrick Cassidy wrote:    (02)

>    You [John Sowa] have derided the cost of the FO project, but I
> will remind the list
> that in the interval of time that we have been discussing this
> issue, the
> best estimates I have seen indicate that well over 100 billion
> dollars has
> been lost in commercially inefficient information transfer in the US
> alone.    (03)

This has got to be nonsense. You are claiming that if your
hypothetical 'foundation ontology' were available, that the US economy
would gain 100 billion dollars in a matter of weeks, simply by more
efficient information transfer? First, I simply do not believe that
anyone, with any methodology, could possibly sustain this estimate
based on any actual data. Second, this assumes that (even if this
estimate is correct) that the presence of an ontology will magically
remove all problems of intercommunication throughout an entire
economy. Which is so obviously nonsensical, I submit, that one has
only to state it to see how ridiculous it is.    (04)

Pat Hayes    (05)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)