Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
From: Rob Freeman <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 16:52:55 +1300
Matthew,    (01)

I'm trying to narrow things down to the main points.    (02)

I think you make two main points.    (03)

1) If you had a FO it would in principle be easy to move between
particular theories, and so multiple theories would not matter.
2) Generating theories will give the same result as having an infinite
number of theories.    (04)

On 1) I agree. I just don't think it is possible to find a theory
which will map between all other theories (see my post to Pat C asking
him to find a FO for mathematics.)    (05)

On 2) I agree. I like this part of John's thinking. Though I can't
imagine how to model an infinity of theories, let alone move between
them, unless it is by generating them.    (06)

-Rob    (07)