Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:13:32 -0000
Dear Pat,    (01)

> This has got to be nonsense. You are claiming that if your
> hypothetical 'foundation ontology' were available, that the US economy
> would gain 100 billion dollars in a matter of weeks, simply by more
> efficient information transfer? First, I simply do not believe that
> anyone, with any methodology, could possibly sustain this estimate
> based on any actual data.     (02)

MW: Well I have looked at this, and I don't know what the number is, but it
is very large. Just in Shell I found that it was so unbelievable that I
scaled the answer I got back by a factor of 10 before talking to anyone.    (03)

> Second, this assumes that (even if this
> estimate is correct) that the presence of an ontology will magically
> remove all problems of intercommunication throughout an entire
> economy. Which is so obviously nonsensical, I submit, that one has
> only to state it to see how ridiculous it is.    (04)

MW: This is more where the flaw lies. The myth that if you have a better
mousetrap, people will beat a path to your door. I think it would take at
least 20 years for a widely supported ontology to have this sort of effect,
possible more. Certainly I think that managing the politics of take up is a
much tougher problem than developing the ontology itself.    (05)

Regards    (06)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (07)

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.    (08)