Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: Matthew West <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 00:18:11 -0600

On Feb 4, 2010, at 12:07 PM, Matthew West wrote:

Dear Chris,

Well I agree that anything defined by axioms is affected when those axioms change.  However, at least some primitives just are – membership would be one of them. Are you therefore arguing that in using membership in the axioms that define other things, that that affects the meaning of membership itself (as an example)?

I would say this, for one :-)  Seems to me that this position is forced upon one, in fact. If you want to maintain the opposite view, you have to say that some formal symbols or names have a meaning which is fixed regardless of the axioms that they are used in. But how is this meaning that transcends any axiomatic theory to be expressed?

I can see that there are clearly subsets of membership that are say set membership and type membership, but I’m not sure that that changes the meaning of membership.

In cases like this the meanings may be very close, but that is because the axiomatic theories are also very close. But indeed, yes, if types and sets are different, then we have to at least contemplate the possibility that membership in a set, and membership in a type, are different. And indeed, I think they are, and that this has to do with the very difference, between type and mere set, that your axiomatic distinction is trying to capture. Membership in a set is a casual matter, requiring no special affinity between the thing and the set; whereas membership in a type is in virtue of having some property or aspect which is characteristic of that type.

Pat H.

Regards

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Tel: +44 560 302 3685
Mobile: +44 750 3385279

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.