Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 22:01:04 -0600

On Feb 1, 2010, at 7:38 PM, John F. Sowa wrote:

> DF> Football requires game theory, but also naive physics, naive
>> human anatomy, and sports contexts.  Cooking would use naive
>> physics and food ontologies, but not game theory or anatomy.
>
> Football requires far more than naive physics.  Those qualitative
> versions of physics were proposed for understanding the verbal
> patterns in ordinary language.  But a robot that could play
> professional football would need *real* physics at a precise,
> detailed level.    (01)

Playing football at an expert level requires specialized football
knowledge, not physics. Playing lacrosse, similarly, requires expert
knowledge of lacrosse. Similarly for violin playing, skill at
bricklaying, etc. etc. Expertise, or what used to be called master-
level skill, in just about any aspect of human activity requires
expert knowledge **particular to that domain**, knowledge which takes
approximately 20,000 hours - ten years of a 40-hour week - to acquire
(pretty much independently of what area of expert skill one aspires
to) and which does not transfer to any other area. The same seems to
be true for the expert level of skill that we adults all have at using
our own bodies for locomotion, speaking and social communication, and
general adult competence at living in a society. These all also take
around ten years of practice to acquire.    (02)

Pat H.    (03)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (04)