Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 02:09:53 -0500
Just a clarification on one point mentioned by John:    (01)

[JS] > The issues of dealing with imagery
> and physical actions are handled by continuous math, not by FOL.
> The smells and tastes cannot be adequately characterized by
> any version of logic we have today.  Note the descriptions
> of wines as "having notes of berries and fruit."  Those are
> extremely vague statements that even a wine expert couldn't
> interpret to the precision necessary to identify a wine.
>    (02)

  Right.  Those computations that cannot be accomplished (or cannot be
accomplished efficiently) by FOL would be among the conceptual primitives
that have to be included in the FO as procedural code.  They can be labeled
as functions, but their execution could be any method of computation.  For
interoperability, concepts represented that might be executed differently in
different programs (C, JAVA, machine code), but the effect of the
computation would have to be the same in all systems.  Among the difficult
ones would be perceptual and robotic actions.  At the initial stage, the
meanings of these actions would have to be carefully specified as close as
one can get logically, with careful documentation filling in the parts that
logic cannot specify, most likely by reference to instances that are well
known or could at least in theory be experienced by users.  I am not certain
what will ultimately turn out to be primitive and what may be decomposable;
but the principle of composability should serve even for those concepts that
must be specified by procedural code.  Eventually as machines get increased
perceptual and robotic capabilities the linguistic documentation will be
increasingly secondary to the machines' actions as illustrating the
meanings.    (03)

Pat    (04)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.