Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping -4D?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "doug foxvog" <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 23:27:02 -0000 (GMT)

Mathew West wrote:
> A 3D ontology can take time into account quite easily by stating the times
> at which some statement is true.    (01)

> 3D vs 4D is about the fundamental nature of individuals and whether they
> are extended in time as well as space.    (02)

3D vs. 4D has to do with whether temporal-spatial individuals are MODELED
as being extended in time as well as in space.  Use of a model does not
requires a change in the "fundamental nature of individuals."    (03)

> Under 3D they are extended in space only
> and pass through time, in 4D they are extended in time as well as space.    (04)

But both of those models are only useful in enabling statements to be made
about that time-constrained individual.  Both models allow such statements
to be made.    (05)

> consequence is that "me today" is just an object in 4D, a state of me with
> a beginning at the start of the day and an ending at the end of the day,
> where
> as in 3D I have to say something like "me at all points in time during
> today".    (06)

Close.  In 4D, "me today" is a temporal slice of me, cut by the starting
and ending times of the day.  If my starting or ending time intersects
today, the object does not both begin at the start of the day and end
at the end of the day.    (07)

One must be very careful in what such a temporal slice "object" is
considered to be.  If the temporal slice is considered to be a member
of the same classes which the 4D worm, then instances of such classes
can not be counted.  An object predicate that is functional in an argument
position, may be functional with respect to complete 4D worms, or with
co-extensive temporal slices.    (08)

Using a 4D model does not solve all the temporal problems of a 3D model.
One can map descriptions from one model to the other.    (09)

I know i am stepping onto religious ground, but imho, a 3D model is easier
to work with.    (010)

-- doug    (011)

> Regards
>

> Matthew West
>
> Information  Junction
>
> Tel: +44 560 302 3685
>
> Mobile: +44 750 3385279
>
>  <mailto:matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>  <http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/>
> http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
>
>  <http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/> http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
>

> This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
> and Wales No. 6632177.
>
> Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City,
> Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.

doug foxvog    doug@xxxxxxxxxx   http://ProgressiveAustin.org    (013)

"I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great
initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours."
    - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.