Re: [ontolog-forum] foundation ontology primitives

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 15:26:35 -0800

Ferenc and John,

Thanks for the call for papers, though India is a little too far for comfortable travel given the present state of aircraft terminals.  I do agree that what pattern recognition technology has long called features, or invariant value sets, should be given more shrift in database technology, and finding such patterns might be eased by a proper ontology interpreter which has been fit specifically to the application.

As I understand the Tree of Porphyry, "Things" are the starting point at the root, and predefined questions can be asked at each node about predefined properties at that node to traverse from the top node (root: all things) to the actually specified thing ("Sally Jennings, teacher, daughter of Peter Jennings") at the terminal node when there are no more questions to ask.

The porphyric approach is very different than starting with scoped sets of properties, as Ferenc suggested.  In the tree of Porphyry, John, you are starting with the set of all things (at the root) and asking set narrowing questions about specified properties and their values re members of the set until you reach an end point in the tree with only zero or one member thing - a hierarchy by construction, and predicates at each node are based on fluents, by construction.  See 7,209,923 for details.  (auto URL formation short circuited below to avoid spam cops):

Englishlogickernel.com/Patent-7-209-923-B1.pdf

That approach works great to distinguish among TYPES that have already been defined through FCA.  I am more interested in the huge clutter of textual information in databases that has not already been typed, parsed, fit into a framed meaning, and "interpreted".  I think that material is more complex than people realize, and can be very valuable.

The FCA method is to cluster groups of things that all have the "same" properties, and to divide the members into subsets or elements based on fluents, or on constraints among the properties.  So anything visual (at least those visualized by humans) must have properties such as color, intensity, shape, shade, etc.  That is as true for a book as for a salamander.  But it doesn’t relate equilateral triangles to equiangular ones, unless the designer throws that in too.  So Ferenc’s suggestion has nothing DIRECTLY to do with TYPE construction per se, but with an inventory of exactly that set of properties that can be identified by the observer at each node in the porphyric node in current question.

This is also a different approach from starting with Things, as in the poryphyral approach.

Another way to look at it is to begin with a set of "primitive properties" (John, you will enjoy that word) which can be observed.

Only after defining what those observables are, can you construct the tree of porphyry and specifically identify all the TYPES of things that can possibly have values for each of those properties.  To begin with, there are no questions for the things at the root node of the tree.  So you have to know what to measure about Thing existence, how to represent those measurements, and how to compare two such measurements.

Starting with a set of defined properties limits the distinctions that can be made to manage the debate/discourse about how to represent Things.  THAT is a property, IMHO.

HTH,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper