[ontolog-forum] Foundation Ontology Primitives

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: FERENC KOVACS <f.kovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 21:39:26 +0000 (GMT)
Rich, John
Rich first,

Objects, Properties annd Relations are the *cosmonomy* of the world of concepts. In descrbing them verbally and representing them graphically (2D) you need to apply a *creative force*, the *genezis* process that has a philo- and ontogenetic version. No higher math is needed and representing what you have in a RDB is possible in 2D, a piece of paper. (Description of the old system). My examples are from translating between L1 and L2
So we start of with One, and we can zoom in and out to be focused on the *one* in a text. A lot depends on what you consider as one, it is not one word, no atomic view is correct. On the contrary, you pick the longest string of words that are to be translated as one (phrase, cluster, indentifier of a chunk of reality - named by a heading, title, etc.). You want a complete entity as only complete entites make sense. When you take a look at the next complete entity, a message, you need to have a predicate, a verb which is not complete without specifying grammar person and time.

Now properties may be part (adjective, noun) of a predicate so they need to be paraphrised to be collected in a class of identical grammar forms. So you need to make use of mental operations here as well as with objects (not detailed here)

A property - used to describe *an object is an adjective*. But this may be or may not be a terminal state. You may rewrite it as *has property* (created from adjective above).
But more often than not, you come to the above statements from a number of observations that involve messages *object did this*, (*object did that*), etc.
You shave pilled my coffe - you are clumsy, etc.

OMHO Without showing these relations you will remanin stuck with atomism.
Ferenc