Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation Ontology Primitives

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 16:14:10 -0800

Ferenc and John,

I think of a predicate as a FOL _expression_, with the usual and or not xor coin etc operators, and all the terminal symbols are each filled by either property names or property constant ranges.

A predicate returns True iff the predicate function is satisfied over the property values, False otherwise.

Let me define “product normal form” as the sequence of predicates in Anded (product) form only:

P(x,i) := P(x,0) ^ P(x,1) ^ .. ^ P(x,N)

Some prefer to use the opposite view, the “sum of products” method for representation of predicate functions, but in this case there is no SUM, just one big PRODUCT of PREDICATEs.  So the P(x,i) can be calculated with sums (or)s internally, therefore can compute anything computable.

Given a bunch of Things (a Universe), and their property values, wherever the property values are known at time t for the Things, Each predicate represents a traversal from the root node down to a terminal node.  So each predicate selects at least one subThing (for Or expressions) from among the chaff at that level, perhaps a large number of subThings, but preferable fewer subThings than that node’s parent node.  Except for the root node, which holds the whole universe of Things in its confines.

Given that starting point as the structure (see 7,209,923), any kind of distinction can be made.  So the distinction of what is an object, what is a type, relation, and so forth can be based on the properties first defined by capability of the agent’s sensors.  Anything built on top of that sensor information is, by definition, not primitive, but nonterminal.

At least that is my personal FOL ontology, and I’m sticking with it because I like the long strings of predicates it generates.

HTH,

-Rich

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper