[ontolog-forum] Foundation Ontology Primitives

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: FERENC KOVACS <f.kovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 04:07:40 +0000 (GMT)
David,
You are right, I have not been a computer programmer. I used to be a computer system analyst a long time ago, though.
MT to me has never been on the right track with statistical analysis of corpuses instead of doing semantic analysis that includes context and documenting what makes sense at all in a NL as oposed to trying to mine sense from a huge amount of incoherent incidences.

Note my rephrase: *naming (standards) is analogous to what happens in HUMAN translation of NLs.*

It looks as if you cannot see my words in the same context as I do. I do applogize.
I am still trying to speak about primitives and unique identifiers in the midst of plurality of objects - regardless of any machines or implementation, except for 2D tables on a piece of paper. That is fine, because this is where such an exercise needs to be a dialogue and the representations to be compared by two people.
As I said I see objects as form and content. Also as quality and quantity. In real life language is used to give account of objects, for which you need to identify them, verbally and/or numerically. This is done in reverse proportion of context to explicit content in names (properties). With numbers it is different as real numbers are the ultimate forms. There you always start with number one when you meet a new object (and it is very likely that the majority of numbers as objects start with none.)
Ferenc