Re: [ontolog-forum] Foundation ontology, CYC, and Mapping

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pavithra <pavithra_kenjige@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 15:10:05 -0800 (PST)
Jeffery:

In my opinion,  logic is used as knowledge base or reasoning to model Ontology.  But actual information that is necessary to model is available in real world. Because one is modeling the real world !  It is easier to use common sense to model simple things rather than use theoretical proof.
 ( Why do I need to know Model logic to say   Room furniture = Set ( table, chair, sofa, bookself )?   Or Table can be described as a rectangular top with four legs? )

However, in complex world, it helps to use theoretical logic to develop  SET,  SUBSET ( Static and Dynamic)  Types, attributes and existence ( must or optional)  and relationship between abstract objects. One can use theoretical  Logic for Verification of existing Ontology for correctness as well..

Anything theoretical, you will have to talk to John Sowa..  he is the expert in that matter..

Regards,
Pavithra

Pavithra