[ontolog-forum] Can Syntax become Semantic ?

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Bradley Shoebottom" <bradley.shoebottom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 09:09:33 -0400

This is a primary area of research to my organization as syntax searches across multiple knowledge bases result in too many hits, just like Google. We are using OWL-DL to build the semantic search and tying in term lists for the object relationship to truly get a much more finite set of results. This of course means having to build specific ontologies in OWL and building term lists. And for each knowledge base, with its different format tagging, may require additions to the literature specification.

However, I see large grass roots effort to publish these RDF and OWL ontologies to make it easier for people to search. There may already be RDF and OWL literature specifications for PDFS, Word, Word Perfect, HTML, XML, etc that will allow organizations to effectively text mine the corpus of knowledge. I can also picture Google hiring SMEs and ontologies to create these general ontologies so that they can more intelligently index the web.

Bradley Shoebottom, BA, MA2
Information Architect
Innovatia Inc.
Tel: (506) 674-5439