Re: [ontolog-forum] Can Syntax become Semantic ?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Phani Chaitanya <vsr.phanichaitanya@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:34:07 +0530

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday January 21 2010, Phani Chaitanya wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Jim Rhyne <
>
> jrr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  It appears that I misunderstood the question you were raising.
> > XML, RDF, … are symbolic representation systems with a syntactic
> > structure.
> >
> > Semantics is added manipulation and translation of the structure.
> > In language, semantics is the application of meaning to a sequence
> > of words. In logic, semantics could be a proof theory or a model
> > system. In IT, semantics would be the processing of the symbols
> > (e.g. to create an account balance).
> >
> > There is not a general answer to the question “what is semantics?”
> >
> > What definition of semantics were you looking for?
> >
> > Jim
>
> I'm looking for the meaning to a sequence of words. Because when we
> say machines are able to process information on web there should be
> some mechanism for inferring the meaning to a sequence of words. And
> how are we able to achieve that with RDF etc.

By "sequence of words" do you mean a natural-language speech act?
I don't see that as a part of what people mean when they talk about
"process[ing] information on the web."

The whole point of the Semantic Web, at least as I understand it, is to
encode information in universal format (RDF) conforming to a schema
that is based in a logic (OWL's description logics). The idea is to
make the semantic content explicit and unambiguous, which is far
from the case with natural language.

Randall Schulz

Hi Randall,

Thanks for that. Now I get the issue that is addressed by Semantic Web. But I would like to know what does "The idea is to
make the semantic content explicit and unambiguous" mean here. I mean, semantic content as in what ?

--
Phani Chaitanya