Re: [ontolog-forum] Can Syntax become Semantic ?

To: <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:21:54 -0500
Just a comment here elaborating a point made by Ed Barkmeyer:    (01)

[EB] >> Murray Burke once said he expected the problem of multiple reference
ontologies for the same subject matter to be rare.  The thinking was that
ontologies are difficult to build and knowledge engineers are lazy, so they
will reuse something they can find rather than roll their own.   I don't
disagree with that rationale, but I do think there are other motivations for
wilful ignorance and deliberate parallel development.  (In other engineering
trades, for example, they have patents.)    (02)

[PC] My own observations suggest that the "laziness" factor, as far as
ontologies goes, often works in the direction of ontologists building their
own with no reference to existing ontologies - because existing foundation
ontologies (e.g. Cyc and SUMO) are sufficiently complex that it just seems
easier to ignore them and work at the domain level alone.  The problem of
learning time for foundation ontologies is exacerbated by the absence of
publicly available example applications demonstrating the usefulness of
those ontologies, reducing the motivation to take the time to learn how to
use them.  So I agree with Ed's initial point:    (03)

[EB] >> I would only point out that this utopian result [two trading
programs automatically interpreting each other's data accurately] is only
possible when the would-be buyer and the would-be seller mark up their
requirements resp. offerings with the same ontology, or with two ontologies
that reference a common ontology in such a way as to enable the match up.    (04)

[PC] I am an optimist in believing that the current situation is temporary,
that some Foundation Ontology will become widely used and serve as a de
facto standard of meaning that permits accurate automatic interpretation of
data.  But it appears to me that unless some substantial effort is made to
develop a community that will use such a common foundation ontology is
directly funded, the gradual adoption of a common FO can take quite a long
time, with a large cost in the interim due to lost efficiency, lost
opportunities for collaborative development of effective multiagent systems,
and money wasted on less efficient methods for addressing the problem of
*accurate* semantic interoperability.  Of course, lots of useful things can
be done without a common FO, but accurate general semantic interoperability
- of the kind that will let users do trading without special-purpose
programs - isn't one of them.    (05)

Pat    (06)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.