Re: [ontolog-forum] Can Syntax become Semantic ?

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:58:16 -0800
On Thursday January 21 2010, Phani Chaitanya wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 1:48 PM, Jim Rhyne <
>
> jrr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  It appears that I misunderstood the question you were raising.
> > XML, RDF, … are symbolic representation systems with a syntactic
> > structure.
> >
> > Semantics is added manipulation and translation of the structure.
> > In language, semantics is the application of meaning to a sequence
> > of words. In logic, semantics could be a proof theory or a model
> > system. In IT, semantics would be the processing of the symbols
> > (e.g. to create an account balance).
> >
> > There is not a general answer to the question “what is semantics?”
> >
> > What definition of semantics were you looking for?
> >
> > Jim
>
> I'm looking for the meaning to a sequence of words. Because when we
> say machines are able to process information on web there should be
> some mechanism for inferring the meaning to a sequence of words. And
> how are we able to achieve that with RDF etc.    (01)

By "sequence of words" do you mean a natural-language speech act?
I don't see that as a part of what people mean when they talk about
"process[ing] information on the web."    (02)

The whole point of the Semantic Web, at least as I understand it, is to
encode information in universal format (RDF) conforming to a schema
that is based in a logic (OWL's description logics). The idea is to
make the semantic content explicit and unambiguous, which is far
from the case with natural language.    (03)

Randall Schulz    (04)