Re: [ontolog-forum] rant on pseudoscience

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: ravi sharma <drravisharma@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 23:55:56 -0500
Ed
If good Individual science that proves to be correct years later is
always dependent on peer review, the hope is that the peer group is
also open to examine and approve couter-viewpoints or pathbreaking
approaches in science. I have Einstein in mind when his work (or a
suitable position for the humble work!!) was not accepted often nor
was recognized till much later.
Similarly many including Galileo(?) etc have sufferd.
Thanks.
Ravi    (01)

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 10:52 PM, David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ed -
>
> On Jan 21, 2010, at 7:45 PM, Ed Barkmeyer wrote:
>
>> [EB] good science owes much to the peer review process.
>

> (At the risk of perhaps repeating myself...)
>
> Twenty years ago I was poking around the (MIT) Sloan School's library
> for materials relevant to information management issues.
>

> To my delight & astonishment I found a research paper on "software
> maintenance."
>
> Unfortunately when I got the paper the full abstract said that while
> the original intent was to discuss software maintenance issues, when
> they examined the academically acceptable refereed literature, there
> were in fact so few articles on the topic that the paper was actually
> going to examine how object oriented programming would significantly
> reduce/eliminate the need for software maintenance.
>
> To me this smacks of: "Because my eyes can only see visible light,
> this is proof that radio waves do not exist.  QED"
>

> Let me see... object oriented programming (or modular programming if
> you're from the other side of the pond) is 50+ years old.  Therefore
> we clearly have no software maintenance challenges now?
>

> Did I miss something?
>
> - David

Thanks.
Ravi