[ontolog-forum] Fwd: rant on pseudoscience

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paola Di Maio <paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 00:31:42 +0000
Rob,
thanks for digging up all the relevant points, hadn not gotten round to get it yet,
it was a on my list of to do

On a side note, I am finding lots of posts relevant to my research, thanks to all for the useful pointers and comments

re. unscientific

everything investigated with scientific inquiry method
merits to be called ' scientific'

my worry is that the direction and methods of scientific inquiry are (often, not always) a
matter of arbitrary choice based on the beliefs and sometimes the interests of those
leading the hierarchies that apply what they preach selectively to prove what they believe

Sidney Brenner, Nobel Laureate in Microbiology, said recently at a lecture in Edinburgh that   he things95% of research he comes across is rubbish and futile
(I know the official excuse is that ithe rubbish is a byproduct necessary to yield the good stuff, but the ratio still seems too high)

the good news is that nonetheless we have made amazing progress with science and technology, who knows
in parallel universe we could be more advanced still

Dont know where you got the mysticism from ,,,

Will continue with the studies

PDM