[ontolog-forum] rant on pseudoscience

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paola Di Maio <paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:19:27 +0000

One of the reasons why I have been (trying to) hammer on the chinese logic issues
is because it looks to me that the distinction between the boundary between
science and pseudoscience, is  not always legitimate, often it is arbirtary and based on the belief system
of the beholder

Too many scientists and researchers today are still refusing to take ito account interdisciplinary
perspectives and look at the universe as a whole,, and continue to do research with world view of  amoebas
(which i am sure its valuable too in its own way)

if we want to advance scientific knowledge 'as a whole', we need to stop dismissing outright what cannot be translated to
FOL as quackery,

 at least stop hiring and putting in charge of multibillion research programmes people who have
very narrow views of the world

For example, the paper below comes across as possibly 'a bit off the wall' in scientific terms  (even to me actually)

http://avantgardescience.com/images/beginning.pdf

but from the parts which I managed to read its actually just the result of mixing scientific paradigms (which are the result of logical inferences) with
logically nonsensical beliefs and contexts

i just want to say, that the universe cannot be translated to FOL, but maybe parts of it can, and thats no longer enough
to support the advancing of science,

It must have been a similar transition from the middle ages to the enlightenment

Paola Di Maio