Re: [ontolog-forum] rant on pseudoscience

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Paola Di Maio <paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:58:26 +0000
Ravi

I totally agree that intellectual freedom is key to any kind of progress/thinking
its true in the sciences, as well as in the arts and humanities

Having lived in many countries however, all of which claim to be 'democracies' (...)
I can say with certainty that in reality, from what I observe,  there is little freedom from fear, even in the
most supposedly progressive and creative environments

If anything psychological fear  (fear of judgement,  fear of the sack, fear of
being told off by the boss, fear of death, karmic punishments, all sorts of things)

I  speak with academics, bright intellectual minds in blessed free countries (like the UK) who
say they would not dare  to write or say 'freely' what they think, that speak freely on certain issues only anonymously,
if the free speech points clear fingers to controversial issues, even when plain true

(had a few discussions about this topic recently, and I could not believe that I still come across people
who are afraid of saying what they think, so many)

They know they risk becoming the targed of intellectual retaliation
(there are ways that some people can blacklist free thinkers in many ways and keep them in the shadows, out of the public eyes/ears)

So  free thinking, when done seriously, may  require sacrificing a few other personal ambitions sometimes

Its not just countries, but also companies, organisations, etc

I am glad you found freedom, I can only hope for the same

PDM