Re: [ontolog-forum] Can Syntax become Semantic ?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Rob Freeman <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 22:45:38 +1300
Ali,    (01)

A quick comment about the inability of computers to understand natural language.    (02)

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Ali Hashemi
<ali.hashemi+ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ... While it's (usually) not hard for people to
> understand the semantics in natural language, computers often lack the
> necessary "background" (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Searle#Intentionality_and_the_Background )
> to do so.    (03)

It's common these days to blame a lack of general knowledge
("background") for our inability to program computers to understand
natural language.    (04)

I'm convinced much of the problem is that there is a wealth of detail
in syntactic structure which we simply throw away.    (05)

This is related to my point that there are many computational
processes which cannot be completely summarized.    (06)

Viewed purely as a computational process I think we could generate
much more of the detailed idiomatic structure of natural language, and
enable computers to successfully disambiguate it much better.    (07)

Actually I think we could generate enough structure for a complete
representation of "meaning", but that might be more than I need to
argue here.    (08)

-Rob    (09)