Re: [ontolog-forum] Can Syntax become Semantic ?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:46:40 +0000
There was an example similar to your "flights to Spain" in a recent demo
I saw. There was a (supposedly) semantic database of things such as
airports with their locations. I did a search for airports in England
and the results included airports in New England, USA. So there was an
example of semantics trying and failing. But hopefully it gives an
example of what should be possible.    (01)

Semantics in computer applications should remove the dependency on
words, and instead refer to meanings. For instance the other day I
followed a link from Twitter on a cloud formation called roll clouds,
which are large cylindrical clouds found in one place in Australia under
certain weather systems. When you read an article there are often
adverts for things you might find interesting, based on keywords in the
article (you can find this in most major newspaper sites nowadays). One
of the links next to this article was for cloud computing. That's
another semantic fail. If the links were based on meanings rather than
words, I might have seen some interesting advertisements about gliders,
aviator sunglasses, weather services, flights to Australia and so on.    (02)

Mike    (03)

--
Mike Bennett
Director